Scales on the shoulders, itchiness, dry scalp and even redness: let’s face it, this list of symptoms is like a horror story that we all fear and many do not know how to bring to an end. Although it is a common condition (which in most cases has a happy ending), it is important to identify the causes of dandruff in order to choose the best products or treatments to help control it.
If you are experiencing this condition and do not know what to do (or what you have done to eliminate it does not work), we have good news: like everything in life, dandruff it has a solution. However, there are important details that you need to know before starting the process to improve health of the scalp.
What is dandruff?
This condition is due to a genus of fungus called Malassezia globosa, present on the scalp of all humans and animals. However, it is the skin’s reaction to it that determines the appearance of dandruff.
Although the fungus in question feeds on the fat and oils produced by the scalp, it can break down the natural production of sebum, causing oleic acid (the cause of irritation and dryness of the skin on the head) to appear. .
When there is irritation, the scalp automatically responds by accelerating the production of new skin cells. It is an “accelerated” process, which results in the agglutination of these, generating flaking of the skin (the main sign of dandruff).
When the skin is sensitive to oleic acid, people may experience the following symptoms on the scalp:
- Desquamation (which can also occur on the face).
- Erythema (red spots on the head and face or neck).
- beard dandruff or the eyebrows.
- Hair loss.
What are the causes of dandruff?
Although it’s difficult to determine the exact cause of dandruff (or sensitivity to oleic acid), experts have mentioned a few possibilities:
- Lack of personal hygiene: No wash the hair regularly can cause skin cells to build up, leading to scales.
- Excess washing: the time between washes should not be less than 48 hours. In other words, when you wash your hair every day, you are helping your scalp dry out, as it loses its natural protective oils.
- Drying or brushing hair excessively: doing too much of these actions creates friction with the sensitive skin of the scalp, causing excessive skin cell growth.
- The use of incorrect products: different shampoos, creams and personal care products can cause allergies or dermatitis on contact with the skin, causing swelling, redness and itching. We recommend the use of products developed to control dandruff and those specific for your hair type.
- Constant sun exposure: Overexposing your scalp to the sun’s rays can cause the skin to become irritated and even burn. Always wear scarves, scarves or hats to protect your head.
- Bad nutrition: Remember that everything is a balance. If your diet is not healthy, everything is reflected in the hair.
- Constant exposure to dirty spaces or dust: wash your pillowcase constantly, clean the dust and keep your space free of dirt, because on the contrary, your scalp can suffer the consequences.
- Season change: dandruff tends to appear more frequently when the weather is cold and the air is dry.
- Pressure for the use of caps or hats: Using these types of accessories very often, especially if they are made of synthetic materials, creates pressure on the scalp and does not allow it to breathe.
- High levels of stress: Different studies have shown that episodes of stress can worsen dandruff, as the immune system loses strength and naturally stops protecting the scalp.
What shampoo is good to remove dandruff?
Biotin shampoo for dandruff
The Folicuré Dandruff Control Renewing Cleansing shampoo It is ideal if you are looking to deep clean the scalp without drying out the hair. Its effective formula with biotinpanthenol and Folisacáridos, not only eliminates dandruff, it also helps to strengthen the hair, preventing hair loss.
Shampoo with zinc to combat the causes of dandruff
To inhibit Malassezia, one of the best ingredients you can find in a shampoo is pyrithione zinc. Thus, you help the scalp to fight the fungus and improve your hair health.
find it in the Sedal Control Dandruff and Freshness shampoowhich, accompanied by aloe vera and mint, acts deeply on the hair fiber to help reduce and prevent dandruff and leave the scalp feeling fresh throughout the day.
2 in 1 shampoo for dandruff
Control dandruff and hydrate (at the same time) the hair from root to tip, it is possible! The effective formula 2 in 1 shampoo Folicuré Control Dandruff Hydration, contributes to strengthening the follicles, preventing hair loss. In addition, it does not contain parabens.
Dandruff shampoo for men
Thanks to its exclusive formula with climbazole, a powerful antifungal, the eGo Control Dandruff Ultra Fresh Shampoo helps control dandruff from the root, leaving a feeling of freshness. Plus, it has an irresistible fragrance.
Shampoo for the causes of dandruff and hair loss
Or, if you want to get a deep clean, but you’re also looking to hydrate your hair and prevent hair loss, then the Shampoo 2 in 1 Folicure Control Dandruff Men it is perfect for you.
How to know if dandruff is dry or oily?
Just as there are different types of skin and hair, there are also different types of dandruff. If you want to identify between the dry and the fat to be able to choose the best treatment, take note of the following characteristics:
- It appears more frequently in the autumn and winter months, since the cold weather outside in contrast to the heat inside, can dry out the scalp.
- Irritated scalp.
- The scales are small and white.
- You may have mild itching.
Editor’s tip: Washing your hair every day and with hot water can cause dry dandruff. To prevent it, we recommend alternating the washes, every two days, and using a shampoo detox moisturizer, like Sedal Detox Anti-Pollution Shampoo. Its moisturizing formula contains green tea and lemon, whose antioxidant and revitalizing properties will leave your hair shiny.
Oily dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis
- Excess sebum on the scalp.
- Large, yellow or white scales, and greasy or wet sensation.
- Hair feels oily, heavy and shapeless.
Editor’s tip: Seborrheic dermatitis is more common in people with oily skin, and you can prevent it with the TRESemmé Detox Anti-Pollution Shampooprofessionally developed with aloe vera and coconut to purify the greasy hair. Infused with Vitamin C (and a paraben-free formula), it nourishes hair to leave it visibly healthy and smooth.
What to do to eliminate dandruff naturally?
If you are looking for natural remedies to combat dandruff, we want to tell you that the turmeric and the Rosemary oil They can be your best allies. Both are famous in alternative medicine for their antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Topical use of these ingredients provides deep cleansing and helps remove dead cells and scales, as well as moisturizing the scalp. This is how you can use them:
Turmeric mask for dandruff
- Mix four tablespoons of turmeric powder with four tablespoons of honey.
- Apply the mask on the scalp with your hands, in circular movements.
- Let the mixture act for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
Mix with rosemary essential oil for dandruff
- Mix four drops of rosemary oil with two of coconut oil on your hands.
- Apply the oils on the scalp in circular movements.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
Editor’s tip: In most cases, turmeric and rosemary oil are usually harmless. However, there are people who have side effects such as irritation and inflammation of the scalp. In this case, avoid them and instead use professionally developed products to treat dandruff.
Do you have any doubts about the causes of dandruff? Write us through @allthingshairmexwhere we will answer all your questions related to this condition and you will find the best products for your hair.
The post Discover the most common causes of dandruff and how to control it appeared first on All Things Hair Mexico.